How to Prevent Cancer - PathSOS
Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide. According to the National Cancer Registry Programme of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), India recorded an estimated 3.9 million cancer cases in 2016. It is quite possible that more than half of cancer deaths could be prevented if proper measures could be taken. In this article we will discuss how to prevent cancer.
Cancer Prevention Tips
Stop smoking and avoid tobacco -One of the major reasons of cancers of mouth and lung is smoking and tobacco consumption. India is the hub of smokeless tobacco users. It can be linked to various types of cancer including cancer of the lung, mouth, throat, larynx, pancreas, bladder, cervix and kidney. Even if you do not smoke tobacco, exposure to passive smoke might increase your risk of lung cancer. Avoiding tobacco or deciding to stop using it is one of the most important health decisions you can make for cancer prevention.
Eating a healthy diet -Although making healthy selections at the grocery store and at mealtime can't guarantee cancer prevention, but by considering these proven cancer prevention foods might help you to reduce your cancer risk.
- Garlic contains sulfur compounds that may activate the immune system’s natural defenses against cancer, and may reduce tumor growth.
- Broccoli is a cancer-preventing super food, one you should eat frequently either steamed or raw form
- Kiwi has cancer-fighting antioxidants, including vitamin C, vitamin E, lutein, and copper
- According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition Women who drinks at least two cups of black tea daily have a 32 percent less risk of ovarian cancer compared with those who drink one cup or less per day.
- Studies have shown that apples have one type of antioxidant, called procyanidins, that triggered a series of cell signals resulted in cancer cell death.
- Bean sprouts are a rich source of sulforaphane, one of the most potent anticancer compounds isolated from a natural source.
- Cabbage contains bioflavonoids and other plant chemicals that inhibit tumor growth and protect cells from free radicals.People who eat large amounts of cabbage have low rates of colon cancer
- People who follow the Mediterranean diet supplemented with extra-virgin olive oil and mixed nuts might have a reduced risk of breast cancer. The diet focuses on mostly on plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts.
Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active -Studies show being overweight, physically inactive and not eating well increases your risk of developing cancer. Maintaining a healthy weight might lower the risk of various types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, prostate, lung, colon and kidney. By including at least 30 minutes of physical activity in your daily routine can lower your risk of developing cancer and other diseases and helps you to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Protect yourself from the sun -More than 3.5 million people are diagnosed annually with skin cancers. There is sufficient evidence to show that exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation causes most skin cancer – both melanoma skin cancer (the most serious type) and non- melanoma skin cancers. Be sure to use adequate sun protection year-round.
Practice safe sex -Many strains of the Human papillomavirus, known as HPV, are spread through skin to skin contact during vaginal, anal and oral sex. HPV is most often associated with cervical cancer, but it might also increase the risk of cancer of the anus, penis, throat, vulva and vagina therefore it is very necessary to limit your number of sexual partners because the more sexual partners you have in your lifetime, the more likely you are to contract a sexually transmitted infection — such as HIV or HPV. Moreover sharing needles with an infected drug user can lead to HIV, as well as hepatitis B and hepatitis C — which can further increase the risk of liver cancer.
Get regular medical care -Routine cancer screening can save lives. Regular screenings for various types of cancers such as skin cancer, colon cancer, cervix cancer and breast cancer can increase your chances of early detection of cancer, when treatment is most likely to be successful.
Need for Second Opinion
According to the study published in the Annals of Surgical Oncology of 5,000 patients diagnosed with melanoma found that when the tissue samples were reviewed by pathologists who specialized in melanoma, the diagnosis was changed 5 per cent of the time and the stage of cancer was changed 22 per cent of the time. Cancer misdiagnosis is extremely common and poses a serious challenge especially for Cancer patients as long & expensive treatment depends on it.
Obtaining a second opinion on your care is your right as a patient. Never feel guilty about asking for one. If you have been diagnosed with cancer it is crucial that your diagnosis is correct, your treatment plan is appropriate. At PathSOS we strive to give the most accurate diagnosis that our patients can trust and doctors can have confidence in. Our guiding vision is giving cancer patients a better chance at cure by providing world class online second opinion service at home.
To contact PATHSOS call 0124 4995078 You may also visit OUR website at WWW.PATHSOS.NET